Friday, February 8, 2013

What is a good Translator site besides Google Translator?

Q. Well, I have a few friends who speak different languages, and they don't mind at all when I send them stuff translated into their language. So lately, I have been using Google Translator, since that's the only site I know of, and I was trying to translate a sentence into Filipino.

I sent the sentence to my friend, and he told me that half the sentence was messed up. I was wondering is there are any very good Translator Sites out there besides Google Translator.

A. It's the only one. What you do is you grab the Filipino text and you put it back into the box and switch languages with the arrow thingy. Then you translate that back into English and you will see: if it gives you crap translation instead of what you typed, then you have to rephrase your English to make it hyper simple.

Ex: instead of "I hear you guys are getting along well" write "You and ____ are friends now, yes?" (Pay attention to the punctuation and use it wherever appropriate: without proper punctuation, meaning changes when translating!)

Because idioms or expressions just don't translate well in other languages so KISS (keep it simple silly!)

Otherwise there is babelfish.yahoo.com but that is 100 times worse than Google and it messes up a lot and there's also freetranslation.com but they changed the format and now it turns the same stuff as Babel.

Basically there are ONLY 2 free ones on the net: Babel & Google. If you google free translators and try the others you will ALWAYS get the same results as either babel or google.

So bottom line? Simplification here is your friend. There are many ways of saying something. Always think as if you were talking to someone very stupid when using translators, like people in 70's movies talking to Native American Indians. How!

Thanks for my thumbs up and BA! =)

Why do people answer questions from Google Translator?
Q. I think if people wanted the Google Translator to tell them they would look it up themself easily. Google Translator is hard to get an accurate translation unless you are familiar with the language already.

A. haha! I was just about to ask this question.

They think they are 'trying to help' when in fact they don't have a clue how inaccurate Google Translate is and are only just confusing the asker. Probably just doing it to get their 2 points - stupid really, I don't see the point in answering if they don't even know the answer.

Also, I love the way they're usually very condescending about it as well - 'Oh well, you could've just used Google Translate if you weren't so lazy!' - just no! Really winds me up.

Does Google Translator translate English into classical or ecclesiastical Latin?
Q. I'm translating a text into Latin, and I was planning on using Google Translator to help run a few clauses, but I wanted to see if it was classical Latin (like that of Virgil's writing) or ecclesiastical Latin (like Jerome's Vulgate Bible) that Google translated English into.
Thank you, kindly.
Thanks, gents, most helpful

A. ROFLMAO!!

Nick was much too kind to Google. Although better than other online translators, it STILL turns out garbage. It is amazing how many come on Y!A and call it the best thing since sliced bread - they must not really care. That having been said [note the ablative absolute construction transposed to English], Google tries to do Classical. Just don't trust it - no time, no how.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment