Friday, February 15, 2013

Is it possible to add driving,walking and public transport options to a google maps form on your website?

Q. Hello,

When searching for directions on google maps, there is a drop down list of options:

By Car
By Public Transport
Walking

Is it possible to add these to a drop down list on your own site and if so how could it be implemeted?

Thank You!

A. First, check the unique Google Maps URLs for the various modes of transportation you are considering. Second, create a javascript form handler for your HTML using something like:

http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/navigation.shtml

Put the specific URLs in the drop down for the form.

How to put tags on google maps to show friends where to park?
Q. I am trying to edit google maps or some sorta map thing that I can show to my friends to let them know where to park and where to meet up.

I used the google map maker but that changes the whole thing permanantly. I added a parking marker and it is pending.

I just need an application so taht I dont have to draw a map by hand and put an X on where to park.
How do I do this?
Thanks

A. 1. To use Google Maps, first you have to either SIGN UP or SIGN IN with your email
address and a password.
2. Click the box in top, right-hand corner to enable either a plain, or a satellite map.
3. Move around the map and zoom in to where you want to put the placemark.
4. At top left, click the box labelled "My places".
5. Click on the red box labelled "CREATE MAP". Enter title, e.g. "Party" and save it.
6. You'll notice 3 icons pop up at top left of map. Click on the middle one, which is
"Add a placemark". Then drag it to the spot you want (it will move whether or not you
depress the left mouse button). Then click it again and enter a title and/or description,
e.g. "Meeting Place". Then click "OK". If you get it wrong or want to change it, click
on the icon that will pop up on the left panel, so you can delete it.
7. For privacy and sharing settings, click on either "Public" or "Unlisted".

If you want to put more than one icon on your map, unfortunately, they're all the same
shape and the same colour, and you can't add text. However, the right-most icon at
the top allows you to draw lines and shapes, so to differentiate between placemarks,
you may have to get creative.

How accurate are the time estimates on google maps for driving?
Q. I am interviewing for jobs in the area and I want to know how long it would take me to drive to certain locations. If google maps says 26 minutes will it really take that long?

I think a lot of the measurements might be too low from random entries I made. I'm not sure if they account for traffic and I live in a city.

A. Although I love Google Maps... If i'm looking for traffic just before a trip, I use Bing.com... link: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?

Start by typing in your current location and then get directions to the next.. Once you have been given your route list/direction to destination, take a look at the bottom of the list to "check box" the "Use Clearflow to route based on traffic"..

This may give you the best idea of time with traffic at the current time...

To answer your question though, I'd say pretty accurate using posted speed limits on the various levels of streets and highways... But of course it's usually the best case, free of slow traffic...




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment