Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Why do people always say to use Google Translate?

Q. I always see people here telling people to use Google Translate. Why? Google Translate (and all other web translators) SUCK, and you have pretty much a 0% chance of getting an accurate translation. People are posting here because they want a *person* to translate, not some machine that doesn't understand context.

A. Google Translate is recommended because it's probably the most used translator. Unfortunately, translators do not understand context and are therefore very unreliable. It's not as easy to cheat on your Spanish paper as it looks.

How to remove google translate toolbar banner?
Q. The google translate banner at the top of certain webpages means I cannot click on links and view other pages on the site, it keeps taking me back to the home page. Does anyone know how I can get rid of this function for good as I have tried pressing tools then un-selecting translate but it still appears?

A. there is a cross button in the right of the toolbar

Is there anything wrong with using Google Translate to answer questions in different languages?
Q. I was in "France" and I got called out (in English, how embarrassing)

I used to be able to read and write French, but I have lost a lot of what I knew and I want to continue learning reading and writing.

Is it so easy to spot when someone is using Google Translate? Does the language matter? Did I look foolish doing this?

A. Although I enjoy Latin, Italian, and Brazilian Portuguese I do NOT answer these types of questions, because like you, I don't want to look dumb. I do get in "Italy", and "Portugal", and I DO answer, IF they are looking for a particular word which I know may have an additional meaning, but that is my extent to translations in those languages. I am bilingual, English/Spanish, and I can clearly see when someone used "google" translate. You see, it's a computer, and it does not "think" about grammar rules, idioms, slang, etc. It is indeed great for individual words. Look at google as a dictionary, rather than a translator.

I think I should be the one asking questions, instead of trying to answer questions.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment