Friday, February 8, 2013

How do you say "drinking fountain" in French?

Q. The translation Google Translation gave me was "fontaine d'eau potable". Is this a correct translation?

A. French speakers just say ''une fontaine'' (or the fancier ''fontaine publique'' http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/drinking%20fountain )...

... though Québec French has it ''un abreuvoir'' :-)

Best,

Raymond

What is the exact translation of "queen out of conviction or queen by conviction" in latin?
Q. I want to say that "she" was a queen by choice, by conviction (as an unshakable belief in something without need for proof or evidence), not because she was born a queen. Life brought her "there" and she make the decision to be a queen. I want to highlight the "conviction" as a word.
Google translate suggests "regina ex convictionem" but i don't think its right.
Please don't send me the automatic translation (ex. google translate), i want to use it in a paper.
Also, i would like to keep the phrase as short as it can be. Thank you.

A. Perhaps this (it might be nonsense),

"regina propter persuasionem"
propter = on account of, by reason of, from, for, because of
persuasio = conviction, persuasion, belief, opinion

or this,

"regina propter fidem"
fides = trust, faith, confidence, reliance, credence, belief

But I don't have 100% conviction that this use of propter to qualify a noun is permissible. I'd be happier if there was a verb or participle in there. e.g. "regnans propter persuasionem" ("reigning by reason of conviction", or "one who is king/queen by reason of conviction"). This makes sense, but doesn't quite meet the original requirements.

What is the German translation of "another sunrise, another new beginning?"?
Q. I am looking to possibly get a tattoo of the quote "another sunrise, another new beginning."

Since my heritage is mainly German, I'd like to have it written in German. Can anyone translate as close as possible for me? I got a translation from Google Translator, but I want to make sure it is VERY accurate.
Basically, I heard this quote ("another sunrise, another new beginning") and it gives me the whole "each day is a good day to start over" feeling. So, something along those lines that translates well.

A. Neuer Sonnenaufgang, neuer Anfang.

Lit. New sunrise, new beginning. This is how a German would say it.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment