Monday, January 28, 2013

What are those big Balls that are placed on telephone wires above streets and fields for?

Q. Whenever I am driving on a major Highway there are big balls on the top wires of the telephone wires. I've thought that they might be for planes or helicopters, but I've seen no consistency as to where they are placed, some are over fields and others over roads. Can someone help shed some light on this?

A. Wire strikes are the largest cause of serious accidents for both helicopters and crop dusters.

Spherical markers are used to aid pilots in visually identifying utility lines. FAA guidelines: http://www.tanawiremarker.com/faa.htm

Google answers post with references: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=13055

How do I make my rotary telephone work?
Q. I bought a princess telephone at an antique shop. When I plug it into the jack I get a weak dial tone and alot of static. How do I make it work with modern technology?

A. It may not work without some serious modification beneath the dial. Do all exchanges still support pulsed dialing? I don't know that they do. You may need to swap out the circuitry for something a little more contemporary.

Lots of mods on the internet for just this thing. Google will help you out (or yahoo)

How can I backup my Outlook contacts to my Android phone but not in my Telephone Contacts?
Q. I have thousands of entries in my address book and don't want them cluttering my telephone contacts where I have about 150. I need an address book like the one I use to have on my Palm.

A. There is actually a very simple way to do this. You'll need to download the free DejaOffice app on your Android phone to get started. This will give you the Palm-style address book you're looking for, and more (calendars, tasks, notes, Outlook categories, etc). It will also allow you to keep your Outlook contacts separate from your Android contacts.

In order to sync your Outlook data over to the phone, you'll need to download CompanionLink for Outlook on your PC. This will allow you to sync via multiple methods - just be sure not to pick sync through Google or you will end up with your Outlook contacts being stored together with your Android contacts. CompanionLink for Outlook is $39.95, and we offer a 2-week free trial so you can give it a "test drive" first. The links for both DejaOffice and CompanionLink for Outlook are included below. Let me know if you have any additional questions!


David Z
CompanionLink Software




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment