Sunday, February 10, 2013

How do I fix my internet from automatically redirecting to google images?

Q. This use to happen from time to time, but now every time I go to a website I'm redirected to google images or a google search. I ran an anti virus that came up clean. Spy-bot found something small, but every time I run a malware my computer shuts itself down before it's done. I've tried increasing the security settings, deleting cookies...nothing helps. Any ideas?

A. Try scanning your comp. with both of these free software.
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/
http://superantispyware.com

Can I use pictures from google images for my blog/website?
Q. So I am starting a blog/website about different bands and I want to post pictures from google images. Is this legal? Is there a legal way of using the pictures without asking for each individual picture? Can I link or say who's picture it originally is? I am not trying to take credit for the picture or anything.

A. Google images is only a search tool that finds images on the web. When you conduct a search, you will see that there is a link to view the image in its original context on the page. Google is not publishing these images on its own.

When you find an image through the Google search, you will need to check the actual website to determine whether or not it is free to use. Google explicitly states, "Image may be scaled down and subject to copyright." If the image is falls under copyright, in order to upload the picture onto your web server and display it on your page, you need to have permission.

In order to use an image that is found with a Google search,
1. It must be in the public domain
2. You have received permission from the owner. OR
3. It has a Creative Commons license that allows for its use.

There are some sources that provide use of images through "Creative Commons" licensing. Basically, Creative Commons is a way of sharing media and some of the priviledges that go along with them. (creativecommons.org)

The Wikimedia Commons (http://commons.wikimedia.org) is one source for media that is meant to be shared. You will need to check the licensing on the images to be sure that you abide by the license selected.

If you find an image that you absolutely must have on your site AND it has a copyright, you could possibly link from your page to its original source. This way you are not taking someone else's copywritten work.

Can I legally use an image from google images for a small project?
Q. Hi! I'm printing a batch of about 100-150 cards to get the word about about a local business. I used a photo from google images and it looks very different now (I live traced it in Illustrator) but still resembles the photo. Do I need to cite google images on the card? Or do I need to I buy an image on an image stock website?

A. Legally, you have the potential to get into trouble. Google images just brings up relevant images on websites, most are not free to use for whatever you want. Though, you did modify the image to an extent, which does help your case and also could make it not casually recognizable, but doesn't mean it is legal to use still. You are using it to promote a business, which is a good case against you-- should you get caught. That being said, the likeliness of you getting caught is very unlikely, though it is up to you if you wish to err on the side of caution.

Depending on what the image is, you may or may not have an easy time getting a free version, if applicable, you could always take a picture yourself and modify it to your needs, or ask the owner of the image for permission to use it.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment