Tuesday, February 5, 2013

How can I stop someone trying to access my google account?

Q. Just before new year's I got a notice from Google that someone had tried to access my Google account from an unknown location, and Google blocked it; very nice of them. I immediately changed my password. What I also did was request an account activity log from Google, which is also a very nice feature. Though when I browsed that log, I found an extra function which adds another password for foreign computers, which is sent by Google to your cellphone. I assumed this message would be sent every time you try to actually access your account (correct me if I'm wrong!). Now I randomly get this message which such a password when I'm not even on the internet, so I assume someone is again trying to access my account. I noticed that those passwords sent by phone aren't very hard; so I'm afraid of getting that hacked as well. Can I do anything more to secure my account? If not, would it be possible to create a new account and have that quickly link back to all my necessities (I use my google account for lots of things like Google Docs, Gmail, various website logins, since I'm a programmer).

Location and IP of the foreign login before new year's:
China - 175.31.128.188
Well Ann Sers, it's perfectly clear you didn't read the entire post, since I already do all the things you're telling me about, that's pretty standard issue. So sorry, but you're no help at all.

A. I'm sorry, but I did NOT read your entire post.. I just read the question itself, which is honestly the only part which is actually relevant here..

I have been working in information security for over half a decade and I can tell you that the number one cause or reason for security issue.. aka single biggest general security vulnerability is weak passwords.

To protect your Google account you should use two step authentication. This will make it considerably more difficult to compromise your account. As far as your password itself goes, here are some guidelines:

Minimum of 9 characters containing upper and lower case, at least 2 numbers and at least 2 symbols or special characters. Do not use ANY dictionary words or ANY variation of a dictionary word. Additional characters will further increase security. Passwords depend on two things: 1. SECRECY. Do NOT tell anyone your passwords, EVER. 2. Randomness.

Here is a pretty secure example password suitable for something like a Google account: " *eV53it3^ " Although the example is only 9 characters long, it's more than secure enough by todays standards for a Google account.

when i create a youtube account, i must link it with my google account. How can i NOT link it with my googl?
Q. I just made a new youtube account, and it linked with my google account. I dont want it too, but i couldnt do anything about it.
How can I make a new youtube account without linking it to my google account?

A. u can`t. youtube was bought by google, so they want you to have a google account too and use it.

How do I create a YouTube account with an existing Google account?
Q. I wanted to make another YouTube account, but when I log out and click "Create New Account," it says I first have to create a new Google account. But I tried that already, and it says that the e-mail address is used. I mean, seriously. Shouldn't they have this function?

A. What you need to do is go on to Google and sign in to your existing Google account, then click on the 'YouTube' tab in the Google toolbar. You are then logged in to Google and will hopefully be signed in to YouTube on your Google account. Then you click 'My Channel' (I'm guessing you already know where that is) and it should ask you what you want your YouTube name to be and then it will create your new account with your existing Google account.
This works for me sometimes, but other times, I have to;
Log in on YouTube using your existing YouTube account which you must have as you said 'another YouTube account' then click the little arrow in the top right hand corner and it should say 'switch accounts' and will ask you which other Google account you want to sign in with.
Hope this helps :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment